December and Christmas payment dates for benefits and state pension explained | Personal Finance | Finance
Benefit claimants and state pensioners may want to check whether their payment dates will change over the Christmas and New Year period.
Instead, people who would have received their payments from December 23rd to December 26th will receive their funds early, on December 22nd.
Those payments due over the New Year period, from December 30 to January 1, will also receive their money soon, and the payments will be made on December 29.
This applies to all these benefits and payments:
- Attendance Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance
- Child Benefit
- Disability Living Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Personal Independence Payment
- State pension
- Universal Credit
- Tax credits (such as Working Tax Credit).
People on many benefits and the state pension also receive a £10 Christmas Bonus payment each year.
A person will need to be claiming eligible benefits during the qualifying week to receive the extra payment – this is usually the first full week of December.
People on these benefits will receive a £10 Christmas Bonus:
- Disability payment for adults
- Armed Forces independence payment
- Attendance allowance
- Carer’s allowance
- Children’s disability payment
- Standing attendance allowance (paid under industrial injury or war pension schemes)
- Contribution-based employment and support allowance (once the main stage of the benefit is entered after the first 13 weeks of claiming)
- Disability living allowance
- Disability benefit at the long-term rate
- Industrial death benefit (for widows or widowers)
- Mobility supplement
- Pension credit (the guarantee element)
- Personal independence payment (PIP)
- State pension (including phased retirement benefit)
- Heavy misleading allowance (transitionally protected)
- Unemployability supplement or allowance (paid under harmful industrial or war pension schemes)
- A misleading war pension at the age of the state pension
- War widow’s pension
- Widowed mother’s allowance
- Parental and widow’s allowance
- Widow’s pension.
Hot House Discount
People on Pension Credit and other people on low incomes may be entitled to the Hot House Discount, a one-off £150 discount on electricity bills.
The money goes to a person’s energy supplier, who will then deduct the amount from their bills, and the discount will be applied between October 2023 and the end of March 2024.
Winter Fuel Payment with Pensioner’s Living Cost Payment
The Winter Fuel Payment goes out to older Brits to help with their heating bills. The money goes out to people born before September 25, 1957.
The payments are between £250 and £600 and this year there is a Pensioner’s Living Cost Payment, which is worth between £150 and £300.
Recipients will have received a letter to inform them of the payment, with the funds going out in November and December.
Cold Weather Payments
As the temperature starts to drop, people receiving certain benefits or Mortgage Interest Support may also receive one or more Cold Weather Payments.
This is a £25 payment paid to eligible people when the temperature drops below zero or is predicted to be below zero, for seven consecutive days.
The scheme is active from the beginning of November to the end of March next year. Weather forecasts indicate that freezing temperatures could be coming to the UK on November 25, so the payments could be activated in some areas soon.
For the latest personal finance news, follow us on Twitter at @ExpressMoney_
Denial of responsibility! greenleaselibrary.org is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – at email@example.com The content will be deleted within 24 hours.